In the 1970s the altar was cut from the reredos, shortened and placed on the communion step, an "apron" was added to give space in front of the altar. For weddings and funerals several benches had to be removed.
The pulpit was lowered and one side was removed and destroyed.
The font was moved onto the sanctuary.
All the stone work in the church was painted white which quickly turned grey; capitals etc were painted with metallic paint.
The "linoleum" dates from 1950/60
The lighting system was installed c1988 as a temporary measure.
The sanctuary was restored to its original dimensions,
the font removed,
the benches and floor sanded and re-varnished.
A new lighting system was installed
the radiators were also moved to widen the central aisle
much of the paint has been stripped from the stone in the nave
2011 Midnight Mass
a stone floor was installed on the sanctuary in Dec 22nd, 2011
Baptistery completed 23rd Dec 2011 (almost completed - a hardwood surround needs to be inserted between the floorboards and the stone floor)
We are indebted to our architect Deirdre Waddington.
A postcards of the church c1890
Note the narrowness of the aisle, the apparent absence of lighting apart from candles in the sanctuary and the height of the original pulpit, which will be restored as an ambo.