Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Guilt and Admiration


click to enlarge
I was sent this poster for Christmas from Fr William Charlton's parish in Middlesbrough and was overcome by a sense of admiration and guilt. Admiration for the beauty of the poster, certainly, but also for the extent of the liturgical celebrations. Apart from the Holy Sacrifice there is also sung Lauds and Vespers, and in a one man parish, in both forms of the Roman Rite! The guilt comes from the fact that I have normally fallen asleep on Christmas day by the time Father will celebrate Vespers.
Apparently all he is missing are few servers, contact him if you can help.

4 comments:

me said...

Don't forget your ministry is in your blog as well Father. I would imagine that the fact that your Church is being literally built from the inside out doesn't make for relaxed worship planning either, yet you still host many groups throughout the week. Do what's in front of you but rest too. We want you around the blogosphere for years to come, don't forget.
Listen to me, I sound like Mrs Doyle from Fr Ted, "Now you'll take it easy at Christmas Father? You will, you will, you will!"

Unknown said...

To remain awake post-luncheon on Christmas Day after being involved in two (or even three) Masses in such a short space of time is to be truly superhuman. By mid-afternoon on Christmas day I am normally in somnolent-hermit mode. Fatigue and a careful choice of liquid refreshment both ensure this. The sermons I heard last Christmas told us it didn't matter what you believe because it might be wrong. I am confident of hearing proper sermons this year............

Et Expecto said...

Middlesbrough leads the way yet again!

Congratulations to Fr Charlton.

georgem said...

Well, Father, the Holy Ghost seems to want something else from you and that’s the regeneration of Mary Mags. I guess you’ll have to accept the Boss knows best and just now He wants a bit of action. He’ll let you know about Vespers.

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...