Friday, May 08, 2009

Olfactory Examination of Conscience

Presents for my Jubilee! Margaux from Eileen and incense from Des!
The Margaux presents no problems but the incense, three different types: Jasmine, Violet and Cypress from Cyprus, we had a sniffing session this morning. Nick, who used be a merchant seaman said, I think it was the Jasmine, reminded him of a girl he knew in Algiers and someone else a very respectable matriarch said the violet made her think of a house of ill repute in Turkey. Do the Byzantines use incense as a olfactory examination of conscience? All my parishioners have fascinating pasts.

So is it Cypress, or the Algierian girl, or the Turkish bordello for the Jubilee? Vote now.

Thank God we are not Manichees or Arians. I like the idea that these different thoughts come together in the Heavenly Liturgy.

8 comments:

gemoftheocean said...

Have to say I'm not a fan of whatever scent the local Byzantine Catholic uses. I like the classical "Roman Liturgy" incense. My two scents!

[Save the others for a hash party.]

Mulier Fortis said...

I love the fact that the Liturgy of the Church addresses the senses in so many ways too, as well as engaging the brain!

Doc Hannon said...

Dear Father,

We'd be very glad if you could link/blogroll to our blog:

www.catholicheritage.blogspot.com

God bless you!

St. Conleth's CHA

Sharon said...

Pick the least girly incense.

Steven said...

Why is it an either/or not a both/and???

nickbris said...

Algiers '55,it was a Hot Spot a bit like Afghanistan now.

I.P. said...

I hope you never encounter the altar boy who put onion peelings in the thurible!

Mulier Fortis said...

So, which one was it?

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...