Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Pope's Italian Facebook Group


From John Sonnen who always has fascinating photographs and comments.

Some things never change in the old world (or in this broken world).

Yesterday Italian newspapers noted that the oldest Facebook group (fan club) for the Pope has only 45 members. Maintained by a Croatian, the name of the group is "Viva il papa Benedetto XVI." The news outlets boasted that this was proof that the "approval rating" for the Pope is now at its lowest.

In a rage, I joined the group after reading the article. This afternoon, membership is at 580.

If you're on Facebook then join this group and stick it in the face of the media pundits who then pointed out that an anti-Pope Italian group on Facebook had 4,835 members.

Join here

7 comments:

Jackie Parkes MJ said...

Sorry! Just closed my facebook account!

epsilon said...

Have joined "Viva il papa Benedetto XVI" - now I'll have to learn Italian:o)

Jane said...

I joined it today because another Facebook friend invited me. I didn't know the history but it strikes me that the naysayers are panicking about the upcoming Papal Youtube channel. Roll on the Friday Press Conference.Then we'll see.

epsilon said...

Have joined "Viva il papa Benedetto XVI" - now I'll have to learn Italian:o)

epsilon said...

Jackie, I'm fairly sure it's easy to reactivate your Facebook account...

JARay said...

What on earth is Facebook?

JARay

Anonymous said...

...only the media would determine the Pope's rating according to the member count of a Facebook group!

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...