Occasionally I get a visitor at Mass who say they read the blog. I had one today, a teacher, I think he must be teaching R.E., he was at a Catholic Secondary School as far as readers are concerned at "somewhere in England". In a brief conversation he told me he and some of his colleagues are concerned about re-enchanting the faith, and consequently the liturgy, for their students. They seem to have a deacon as a school chaplain who is quite enthusiastic about their approach. So what is he doing?
- They teach children to be recollected, the use recordings of plainchant.
- They have been teaching their students to sing plainchant.
- They are preparing them to take part in Benediction with the proper chants, it sounded like EF to me.
- They have taught them marbling
- They have taught them gilding
The last two, are so they can do up their school chapel and altar, I just think that is wonderful! So often we underestimate the importance of the visual for children, that which we do give them is so often ephemeral.