Friday, September 26, 2008

Palin visits Medugorje

I am afraid the title is Creative Minorities little joke, it is Michael Palin, not the gun toting Sarah.

The Holy See recently censured and imposed severe penalties on Father Tomislav Vlasic, who had been the seers spiritual director. The Holy Father's skepticism about repeated and continuous apparitions is well known, as is the local bishop's and Holy See's prohibition on bishops and priests leading public pilgrimages to Medjugorje.

2 comments:

bernadette said...

It`s quite right that Pope Benedict is being cautious on this. No-one wants a rash pronouncement made in a hurry. It could be subject to doubt. He`s quite right to lead people as a responsible shepherd.

The last time the CDF gave any guidelines on Marian apparitions was 1978. It`s about due for an overhaul. Good on Pope Benedict. As prefect for the CDF for all those years, he knows exactly what he is doing.

Michael Petek said...

Public pilgrimages are never permitted to places which don't yet have a constat de supernaturalitate judgement attached to them.

Private pilgrimages aren't forbidden either, as long as there isn't a constat de non supernaturalitate.

The Church has at present no judgement in place regarding Medjugorje.

It was Pope Benedict himself who, when head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, set aside in 1987 the judgement of the local Bishop adverse to the authenticity of the alleged apparitions at Medjugorje, ordered him not to pronounce officially on them, and put the matter in the hands of the local Bishops' Conference.

I have met Catholics who opposed to Medjugorje in reliance on the idea that Rome has no authority to set aside the judgement of a local Bishop on any question of alleged apparitions!

Heresy! Heresy!