Monday, September 22, 2008

I am getting soft

I had a new bed delivered today. Call me soft if you must but I have decided to give up the penance of having a lump in the small of my back and the sharp end of a spring in my buttock, They started to wake me up once or twice during the night.
I don't think I have ever had a new bed in my life.
I know St Jose Maria used to encourage people to sleep on the floor on Fridays, and many Benedictines choose to rise in the middle of the night to pray, and Carthusians and some Cistercians rise halfway through the night for the Office. I know I really am getting soft.

One of my converts once said,

"You know Father when I was young, I had a rather ravenous appetite for pleasure, but now I am old pleasure is being able to sit down when I need to, getting to the lavatory on time, not having indigestion after a good meal, having a good nights sleep and realising I will most probably pre-decease my friends.

I am getting to that stage.

p.s. That isn't my new bed, it is James II's at Knole.

6 comments:

nickbris said...

Well done Father Ray,I hope they took the old one away

Physiocrat said...

Those curtains look like a good energy saving device, should help to keep the heating bill down.

biretta wearer said...

Sound advice given to me once:

One should always invest in the best shoes and beds one can afford - when you are not in one you are in the other.

gemoftheocean said...

Oh, drat. I *was* hoping that was your new bed!! ;-D

May your back be free from pain and I hope you get to throw that cane away that you have to occasionally use.

the owl of the remove said...

My Father ( who served in the SAS) used to quote an old army saying that you should always spend good money on your shoes and your bed - because you spend half your life in one or the other - so you needed a new bed Father - don't feel guilty!

Adrienne said...

"many Benedictines choose to rise in the middle of the night to pray, and Carthusians and some Cistercians rise halfway through the night for the Office."

At my age I have to get up in the middle of the night too. If I say a quick Hail Mary does that count toward making me seem holier???

Glad you have a new bed. In order to be of help to others you must be well rested....

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...