Thursday, August 28, 2008

St Augustine on Hippo


Late have I loved you, O Beauty so ancient, and so new. Late have I loved you! You were within me but I was outside myself, and there I sought you! In my weakness I ran after the beauty of the things you have made — the things which would have no being unless they existed in you! You have called, you have cried, and you have pierced my deafness. You have radiated forth, you have shined out brightly, and you have dispelled my blindness. You have sent forth your fragrance, and I have breathed it in, and I long for you. I have tasted you, and I hunger and thirst for you. You have touched me, and I ardently desire your peace. Amen.
– St. Augustine of Hippo, Confessions



Pope Benedict on Augustine

1 comment:

Paul Knight said...

St. Augustine, I believe, played a very important part in my conversion to the Catholic faith. I was very much inspired by Confessions and the City of God. His feast day is one of my favourites of the year because of this.

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...