Thursday, April 24, 2008

Old and young


At Mass yesterday, the Solemnity of St George we sung some of chant, to highlight feasts we normally sing the Alleluia, Sanctus, Agnus Dei from Missa Simplex, we do this on Sundays too. As we were singing someone very loudly was giving us the English translation, it is very important for a parish priest not to know things at times, I am not sure who this is but he does it on Sunday evenings too. It is silly, it is childish. I think it is a protesting octogenarian (the picture is not him). I don't think I would mind if he gave the translation for Alleluia, Amen or Hosanna.
It is curious here, we have a lot of young people, both English and foreign young workers or students. We don't have much family type housing, so we don't have many families, unless it was bought when property prices were much lower. The young receive Holy Communion on the tongue; the old, in the hand. The young genuflect, or make some reverence, more often than the old before receiving communion, I think this is not just to do with flexible or stiff knees. It is the same with music, the young seem to want things that are rooted in the Catholic Tradition, it is the eldery, generally, who want to strum guitars and bang drums.
The old attach a lot of baggage to the past and being Catholic, they have the memories of the 60s and 70s, the turmoil of Humanae Vitae, the priestly defections, the sense of revolution the young are searching for meaning and roots.



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

In general I agree wholeheartedly! However, there are many young people who are being led by the 40 and 50 somethings who are being told that it is the drum banging etc. that is appropriate for young people at Mass. Until priests accept their place as liturgists (faithfully, along with bishops) and teach about the Mass and it's inherent beauty, this, sadly, will continue

Anonymous said...

In the monastery where I serve as chaplain one of the elderly nuns does the same thing. She says in a loud stage whisper in English everything that is sung in Latin. Poor old dear. She also contests my homilies in the same stage whisper while I preach!

Volpius Leonius said...

I suggest you give one of the young ones the authority to tell him to shut up or get out.

In America it could be classed as disturbing a religious service which is against the law according to Father Z.

This is what MC's, ushers etc. are for Father, to keep order, use them.

Volpius Leonius said...

Father Mark you should refuse to say Mass there unless the superior puts a stop to it.

The Mass is not the place for protests, not a Mass would go by without me shouting at the Priests in my area if I gave into to my feelings on some of things they say and do during Mass.

Such behaviour damages the Mass immensely and the people responsible will have to suffer in the next world for it so it is your duty out of love both to God and to them that you do everything you can to stop it.

Physiocrat said...

You should not put up with such a disruption.

PeterHWright said...

I am very sorry to read this post, and also to read Fr. Mark's comment.

I've given this some thought, and I have to say I really don't think there is any excuse for disruptive behaviour.

If someone disrupts a service in church, they should be told to be quiet or asked to leave.

I wouldn't disrupt a modernist service. I would simply steer well clear of it.

Jeffrey Smith said...

I agree it's childish, but consider his age. I was raised to respect the elderly, which wasn't always easy, since my grandfather was a Tartar. Are the elderly to not be welcome in God's house? Is everyone who doesn't like Latin being forced on them to be driven out of the Church? The Church would be poorer for it.

Volpius Leonius said...

Of course they are welcome Jeffrey but they are expected to behave with the proper respect for the Mass that is been said just like everyone else.

Age is no excuse for rude or disruptive behaviour, the normal rules of decency and civility let alone reverence for the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and God's House don't cease to apply to you when you pick up your pension.

Lets be clear they should be asked to leave because of their behaviour not because of their age.

Anonymous said...

There was a woman who tried to proclaim the Doxology at the end of the Eucharistic Prayer,the priest stopped the Mass,everyone present turned round and shushed her,she didn't do it again.

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...