Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Caption Competition


The Pope received the President of Mexico in audience recently. He brought his family along, daddy gave him the most hideous pair of candlesticks imaginable but one of the little children, I presume to appologise for his/her father's hideous taste in candlesticks gave him a teddy bear, which was a very much nicer gift, and obviously saved the visit from diplomatic disaster.

Now the competition is to fill in the blank in this phrase, "If I were Pope I would ............ these candlesticks."

Obviously trans-Atlantic cousins will want to unite these candlesticks and various American prelates, I presume especially Cardinal Mahoney, or his cathedral, if they or you wish to do so, please, do not be rude or unpleasant.

7 comments:

Cathy said...

...beat down heretics...

Anonymous said...

If I were Pope I would give these candlesticks to a very ugly Church, then knock the Church down, build a glorious baroque replacement, melt down the candlesticks and have them made in a style matching the Church

Anonymous said...

or how about,
If I were Pope I would lock these candlesticks in a cupboard and issue the M.P.

Anonymous said...

Leaving present for Abp. Marini?

Anonymous said...

If I were Pope I would turn them in to the nearest 'Elf and Safety inspector in case someone loses control in the Clapping Gloria or the Liturgical Dance. They are obviously Blunt Instruments.

Anonymous said...

Greg

plenty of ugly churches in my diocese ...

sadie

Anonymous said...

place (these candlesticks) on my bedside table as a daily remembrance of the vanity of worldly glory.

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...