Saturday, March 17, 2007

Happy St Patrick's Day

Get the authentic story and read the Confessio of St Patrick.
I, Patrick, a sinner, a most simple countryman, the least of all the faithful and most contemptible to many, had for father the deacon Calpurnius, son of the late Potitus, a priest, of the settlement [vicus] of Bannavem Taburniae; he had a small villa nearby where I was taken captive. I was at that time about sixteen years of age. I did not, indeed, know the true God; and I was taken into captivity in Ireland with many thousands of people, according to our deserts, for quite drawn away from God, we did not keep his precepts, nor were we obedient to our priests who used to remind us of our salvation. And the Lord brought down on us the fury of his being and scattered us among many nations, even to the ends of the earth, where I, in my smallness, am now to be found among foreigners.

3 comments:

nickbris said...

And a Happy St Patricks Day to you Father.And many thanks for the exdellent Parish Blogsite

Anonymous said...

St Patrick was one of the greatest Englishmen of all time.

nickbris said...

Whatever he was he was certainly present in Sabina Park yesterday

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...