Sunday, February 04, 2007

Universe Editor couldn't think of an Explanation

The editor of The Universe said,
"Isn’t it amazing how things develop. On Monday we had the cardinal’s high profile intervention, accompanied by widespread support across the faith communities, so that by my Wednesday lunchtime deadline I had despatched this Sunday’s Universe to the printers, complete with the full text of the letter, stories detailing the support, and pretty rousing editorial comment. By Friday morning I was pulling out of numerous requests to be a Catholic spokesperson on radio and TV because I just couldn’t think of any sound explanation as to why Catholic adoption agencies were sending children out to gay singles, co-habiting couples and single parents, nor could I clarify the remarks of leading Catholic commentators to the effect that gay singles were fine as adoptees because it’s the ‘act, not the orientation that we’re against,’ and obviously ‘single gay people won’t be sexually active, whereas couples would be!!’"

I think we deserve an explanation or at least a clarification. I find it very easy to defend the Catholic Church's teaching on this matter but almost impossible to defend the policy of Catholic adoption agencies, which would have been approved by the Bishops, as I have said before, I feel this situation has arisen because of the lamentable failure of the Church in England and Wales to support and promote the family.
I was told there was an article in last weeks Mail on Sunday about a young boy who was classified as being "gay" by, I think, Islington's adoption agency and despite his protests, he was sent to a homosexual couple and became a victim of a pederastic ring.
h/t Muniment Room, he also has a little piece on how the Adoption debacle has impacted on the Cormac succession stakes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again the Catholic Faithful have been made to look riduculous by the posturing of our so called shepherds.Perhaps this is what the Lord had in mind when he said Blessed are you when people abuse you and speak all kinds of calumniesabout....

Anonymous said...

I think many Catholics are very angry about this.

Anonymous said...

...I could tell you stories about the Catholic Adoption Agency that would make your blood boil. Theres a clutch of cases coming up at the moment...

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...