Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Help and Advice Needed

The most MeMe bit of architecture in my parish, maybe the whole country: The Royal Pavillion, built by the Prince Regent

I hate doing those MeMe things, just too much “me” not enough Him. Having said that I am vain enough to be flattered when people ask me to do them and just a little hurt when I’m not asked, though I must say I rarely read them other people’s blogs, so it is real vanity, but then blogging is........

We had a clergy deanery meeting today. Part of the discussion was on the low profile we as Catholics had within our very secular city. One thing that I suggested was inviting Catholic speakers down to Brighton, so this is what I want help and advice with, it is in the form of a MEME, everyone who reads this post can consider themselves tagged.
The Brighton MeMe
Which interesting speakers could we get down to Brighton to draw a significant crowd and who would have something interesting to say?
If you happen to find yourself on the list and not invited I apologise in advance.

We can’t afford airfares and the Pope won’t come.

Please put you ideas in “comments”, you could add reasons why someone might be suitable if you want to be extra helpful.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ann Widecombe

Anonymous said...

Lord Alton can usually brew up a storm.

Anonymous said...

Try a Scottish bishop. Most of them make ours sound like protestants.

Andrew said...

Is Brighton a mainly Muslim city? Perhaps President Ahmadinejad of Iran could draw a good crowd =)
He's been in the news a lot lately.

But seriously, Father, I don't have a clue. Sorry.

Fr Ray Blake said...

Andrew the picture is of a palace built at the end of the 18th, beginning of 19th century in the "chinese" style, it was a folly.
The background is that the Prince Regent secretly married a Catholic and came to Brighton to with her, this was his holiday home.

I am not sure but there might be good alternatives to the President, but, err... good you are thinking about interfaith dialogue.

Anonymous said...

Could we invite Professor Paul Williams, the author of The Unexpected Way? I think he would attract a lot of interest. For those who dont know of him, he is a highly respected teacher of Tibetan Buddhism who has become a Catholic.

nickbris said...

the Bishop of southwark seems fun loving enough for brighton

Ttony said...

How about Prof Eamon Duffy? Not just as the pre-eminent historian of the English Reformation but as somebody who thinks rather seriously about the state the Church is in today (see his "Faith of Our Fathers").

Andrew said...

Interfaith dialogue indeed... LOL!

Anonymous said...

How about Ian Kerr, Cardinal Newman's biographer? I heard him some years ago giving a lecture in Brighton as part of the Brighton Festival.

Anonymous said...

abp pius ncube hsa been in brighton, if he comes again can't he give a lecture?

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...