Sunday, September 10, 2006

JOHN L. ALLEN JR. on Assisi etc.




I was in Assisi last Wednesday, I missed the inter-religious assembly, in fact I hadn't realised it had happened, but I was shocked by encountering a huge sculpture of a dove, "white pigeon" standing by the entrance to the Basillica, I meant to take a picture, I didn't. It was really hideous and silly, I hope it was there just for this event.

Revisiting Assisi for the first time in 20 years, I was quite shocked by the amount of very ugly and presumably very expensive sculpture around the basillica. One can forgive past generations for conspicuous excess but today one could hope the Fransicans might revisit "Lady Poverty".

No comments:

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...